Staff Advisor Greg Cotterill is our only professional staff member and has been working the local radio landscape since 1980.
Greg manages virtually every aspect of keeping both WEOS and WHWS running; including news reporting, operations, music organization, student management and promotions. He received his bachelor’s degree in radio and television from Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Public Communications, and has worked at local radio stations ever since. In addition to WEOS/WHWS, he does the morning news for the Finger Lakes Radio Group (1240AM/ 96.1 FM WGVA, Geneva). On campus he has also served as an HWS Common Ground instructor and is generally the “den mother” to all the WHWS students. Pictured above at Barton Hall at Cornell University waiting for a Furthur show to begin!
Austin Kennie, Hobart ’19
Volunteer or Work at WHWS!
If you are a Hobart or William Smith Colleges student, you can volunteer at WHWS in a variety of roles. No previous experience required, just an enthusiasm for radio and good time-management skills. Contact the Program Director for more information and read about the available positions below!
- Program Director (student General Manager): the (student) “boss” of all over positions.
- Music Director: handles all incoming music and keeps new stuff coming in.
- News Director: reports newscasts and manages news team.
- Promotions Director: handles all non-broadcast events, plus staff for live, remote broadcasts (Plus promotional swag, website and social media).
STAFF: These are non-managerial positions. All are equally important in providing a quality radio product to our listeners and fans!
- Assistant Music Director: help the MD handle all the music reviewing/categorizing.
- Assistant Promotions Director / Live Event Engineer: help the Promo Director.
- Community Calendar Coordinator: organize incoming arts/culture/events calendar submissions and record them into the Enco Automation system for playback.
- Newscaster: research, report and record audio newscasts for our 12 daily newscasts.
- Sportscaster: provide live color commentary for our 100+ live sportscasts of HWS athletics.
STAFF (special): Certain staff positions have unique characteristics and thus are categorized separately.
- On-Air DeeJay (DJ) Play music, announce tracks, and provide a coherent, entertaining hour of programming on the airwaves.
- Talk Show Host: Similar to DJ, but host a weekly talk show, subject to certain restrictions.
INTERNSHIPS Internships for credit are available, but not guaranteed, to HWS students. Internships are coordinated with WXXI and travel to their studios in Rochester is required for part of the internship.There are several internships specific to various operations within a radio and TV station. For more information, contact HWS Career Services.